Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: You are the weakest link ... Goodbye!

Posted by Bibily on November 06, 2001 at 00:03:11:

In Reply to: You are the weakest link ... Goodbye! posted by Provost on November 05, 2001 at 00:01:30:

OK. The twelve year thing. Let's see. They harrassed me out of my house, backstabbed me, went into my prior dwelling and stole some of my belongings from me, stole some of my china ( I thought it was broken, until it appeared on their table at Christmas), took my father's Army medals off of the wall and tossed them in the corner of a closet in their son's house (I was visiting him once, and I saw them in there), and lastly, my sister forged my brother-in-law's signature to a money order, cashed it, then told him that I did not pay the rent. I had to get the money order traced at the Post Office to prove it. And you say that I am pathetic? Perhaps you should grow up and make sure that in the future you know the story before you condemn.

: This kind of situation is inevitable when you rent from family members. Its understandable, although disheartening, that they want you out. Ask yourself what do you value - your real estate or your family ? To think that you've been dealing with them and blaming them for your troubles for the last 12 years is pathetic. You're an adult - move on and grow up.

: : I have been living in the same apartment for five years now. It is a co-op owned by my sister, her husband and their son. I also am unemployed for some time now, as I am over 40 and finding it very hard to get another job. Last year, I was paying $750 for a one-bedroom. Later that year, my brother decided to spite me because being out of work made it difficult for me to pay on time, so he raised the rent by 79%. I had for a short time gotten a job, but was downsized after six months. This made it impossible for me to pay on time.

: : I told him the reasons why I can't pay, but he is really not interested. he now wants to sue me and get me out because his son also lost his job and can't afford his own apartment. So, he has decided to get rid of me and give the apartment back to his son.

: : I don't have a written lease because my brother-in-law did not want to sign one, and he claims that he is only doing the suit for "tax reasons." Then he made me this wacky offer, I should pay him for November and December in advance, then get another apartment, and he will give me November and December back so that I can pay for the apartment. Well, it doesn't work that way, when you go to get another apartment, you have to have the cash in hand, not look at the apartment, then say "OK, can you hold that for a while while I try to get the money?" Again, he will not put this offer in writing, I am just supposed to take his word for it.

: : He and his wife (who is, unfortunately, my sister) have been out to destroy my for twelve years now, and this is just the last attempt.

: : Someone, please, tell me what I can do. I don't have the money to pay for a move right now, and the small claims court thing I guess I can't stop. Can he just put me out when I have no job?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name