Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Bad Air :(....nope why push it?

Posted by dan on November 05, 2001 at 10:35:18:

In Reply to: Bad Air :( posted by Mora on November 05, 2001 at 10:15:10:

You are one of the really lucky people in the world...no rent increases so why start now? Yes legally he has to clean and pay for it....BUT:

You see that is the trade off....you pay for things and no rent increses...and with no lease you could be looking at finding a new place to live on New Years day...

So practically speaking: YOU pay to have the ducts cleaned, and get a lease...fast!

: The 2-family house I have lived in for 5 years was sold nearly 4 years ago. Luckily, my rent has never been raised, which is extremely lucky, as we refused to renew our lease with the new owner, and we are currently renting month to month. However, on the downside...

: Over those 4 years ,there has never been a single thing repaired or maintained. We do the yard work, even though we (obviously) had no lawnmower to begin with, nor keys to the (empty) garage to store it. We have kept up interior and exterior paint. We had to buy a new fridge when the one provided died. The bathroom tile is falling off the wall, exposing rotting wood, as it was never put over drywall, just directly onto the wood. There is nearly no insulation, and the doors don't seal up all the way. The stairs off the back deck (we are on the 2nd floor) have split ,and we've replaced them. We pay all our utilities, including water. The previous owner had kept up the maintenance, and had a list of necessary repairs (including remodeling the entire bathroom) when he was forced to sell. Now, all that stuff, I can live with, since the work isn't *that* strenuous, and we plan on buying a house within the year. The one thing that I can't handle,however, is that we have forced air heat. And ducts that have not been cleaned in eons. Every year ,as soon as the weather gets cold, and the heat goes on,we all end up with sinus infections ,and difficulty breathing. I have 2 very young children, and I am asthmatic myself. Which one of us,by law, is required to pay for the cleaning? The dust and junk in the ducts is several inches thick. There are like 8 ducts,I believe, and most cleaning services charge about $20 per duct. Just wondering if he is legally responsible for the air I breathe.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name