Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Deposit back?

Posted by Matt on November 04, 2001 at 01:49:30:

I finished up a one year lease with my landlord. We extended it for one month (Sept) which we both signed an agreement and I paid the rent for. Prior to that month starting, I gave him 45 days notice in writing, that I signed that I would vacate the apartment, in effect that I would pay him an extra two weeks. The landlord refused the 45 days notice. I then offered two months notice (the month we agreed to (Sept + another month (Oct.). I wrote up an agreement and signed it. When I presented it to the landlord, he said he would look it over and get back to me. He never did, and never signed the extension. He went to Europe instead. Without him signing the Oct. extension, I moved out at the end of the original one month extension in Sept. Now the landlord claims he can keep the my $670 deposit because I never gave him notice that I was leaving at the end of Sept. Can he keep it? To me, either I owe him two weeks rent, which he can subtract from my deposit (leaving me the remainder) or I should get the whole thing, since we never signed an agreement.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name