Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Im learning...but would like some input please

Posted by Anna on November 03, 2001 at 22:45:49:

In Reply to: Im learning...but would like some input please posted by Anonymous on November 03, 2001 at 21:33:42:

Another thing: most people own rental property through a business entity such as a corporation. Whether you pay your rent in his real name or not, go to, Dept of Finance, Real Estate Tax Assessments and Bills. Find out who the taxes are billed to. All business entities must be represented by an attorney in our courts. If he does sue you and does have an attorney, you will no longer be speaking/dealing with him personally: you will be speaking/dealing with his attorney instead. If he owns the property personally and doesn't hire an attorney, bring anything that shows his unbalanced behaviour to your very first court appearance: tell the judge about it and ask that the court appoint a 'guardian ad litem' for him. A GAL makes decisions for the 'incompetent' person, which again would silence him and put a buffer between you two.

(!!! this is usually something done for/to the tenant, not the landlord: I don't remember if it can work both ways... there are some cases in the Housing Court section but the law itself is probably not on Tenant.Net.)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name