Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: HELP NEEDED DESPERATELY!!! 30-day

Posted by Anna on November 03, 2001 at 22:22:47:

In Reply to: HELP NEEDED DESPERATELY!!! posted by Anonymous on November 03, 2001 at 12:05:53:

: The landlord just served me with a "30 Day Notice"...Help, I am not financially able to get out right now...and am presently looking for job (as most of new york city is in the same boat). I ALWAYS pay my rent and am current (having just sent him the rent via post requiring signature). But I need help in someone explaining to me -- can he throw me out on the street for absolutely no reason other than not liking my "unclassy ripped jeans"?

: HELP

NYC, I presume.

If you're not rent stabilized, the only renewal rights are in your lease. If you don't have a renewal clause or don't have a written lease, yes, he can refuse to renew your lease for any reason except a few specified by various laws (discrimination, retaliation).
If you have no written lease, please know that the 30-day notice must be 30 days before your rent due date; if you received it today and your rent is due the 1st of the month, that means leave by Dec 31 or he will take you to court. He cannot remove you or your possessions from the apartment or lock you out of it in NYC. He can in some but not all other parts of NY state. If you don't leave, he must sue you in Housing Court in your county no earlier than Jan 2, 2002.

The 30-day notice is also in the RPL which you have found. Read more about it here by searching: it's a frequent topic.

Read about illegal lockouts from the homepage of Tenant.Net, near the bottom.

Read about the eviction procedure in Tenant.net's Housing Court Decision section.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name