Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Security Deposit and a broken lease

Posted by Confused in NYC on November 02, 2001 at 16:13:38:

Hi. My partner and I recently moved out of our apt. in NYC (queens) one month before the lease was up for a much better situation. The landlord seemed to have no problem with this and rented the place right away and so did not lose any rent at all.

We had a rather bad relationship with him as he was prone to do things like illegally entering apt etc. We also had a problem when we first got our lease because we stupidly signed the lease with the broker and handed over the money BEFORE the landlord signed it because they told us we had to if we wanted the apt and we were new to the area and desparate. Then for two months the landlord did not want to sign the lease we and the broker had signed at all. We finally got a lease from a legal source on line he agreed to sign that was very basic.

Since we broke the lease to move into our new place do we have any right to ask for our deposit? It seems like most of the literature I am finding says we have no right to our deposit but since he did not ask for a payment for breaking the lease and rented it within days I am not sure. Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name