Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: rent always paid in cash-demanded by the LL-is he avoiding taxes??

Posted by Ace on October 31, 2001 at 17:22:47:

In Reply to: rent always paid in cash-demanded by the LL-is he avoiding taxes?? posted by Miles on October 30, 2001 at 12:59:13:

Please tell us you've received receipts from the LL for each month paid....this provides a solid paper trail...other postings offered good advice as well.

: I live in a month-to-month apartment and my landlord wants to increase my rent from $1500 to $2000. I am determined not to pay this because the place is not that great and is not anywhere near any subway stops. Plus when people are going through incredibly difficult times I just find it highly inappropriate to raise rents these days.

: I suspect that he does not claim the apartment on his taxes. Why? Because since I have lived there for two years he has always insisted on cash payment for rent, never a check. I tried once to give him a personal check and he would not take it. I then tried to give him a certified bank check and he still would not take it. I offered to give him a money order and he still declined. Seems to me he is cheating the government out of taxes and has been for a while.

: So I want to know if I have any kind of "ammunition" on my end to prevent him from raising my rent. I am very close to calling the IRS and the HoOusing Authority on him. If that means risking my apartment, fine. I can surely find another place but I just hate moving. I've moved 6 times in three years, I've been at this apartment for 2 years and would like to stay but not if it means I'm going to have to pay $500 more.

: This may not be the most diplomatic way of handling this situation, is there another way?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name