Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: thoughts of Newark

Posted by Charlotte on October 31, 2001 at 16:23:45:

In Reply to: How to get rent control apartment posted by Charlotte on October 30, 2001 at 13:58:15:

Look -- I just want an apartment so I can stop living my life in a car (driving everywhere not homeless). The only thing I can think of that might work for me is to try to do the "mother's helper" thing where they want live-in help or housesitting, etc. From friends who've come here (we're pretty much all just off the farm), it sucks b/c you can't have any privacy, it's hard to date, you can't come home drunk or even smelling of alcohol, etc., but there just doesn't seem to be any ideal solution. I'm not sure if people ever think of renting out their basement au pair rooms, but everything else seems to have a total racket already going with it -- brokers who want you to pay them a few hundred dollars just to see their non-exclusive listings, most of which are already rented by the time you can talk to enough people to share the rent with (jeez -- and the sharing of rooms by "roommates" -- what ever happened to getting your own bedroom for people who are adults?!). I think the $600 figure must be for people who are roommates -- my friend who rents in the triple-digit street #s in E. Harlem pays something like $900 for a studio and it's next to a housing project. The Village Voice classifieds and the roommate finder services all seem to be for scary roommates or way too expensive and I've NEVER heard of anyone finding either a good apartment through them or a good roommate (but if you've had good luck -- post!). And when I called to see about "rent stabilized" apartments, the lady at the broker's said they didn't organize stuff that way (maybe they don't, or maybe it makes them less $).

The only other thing I can think of is living in Newark b/c at least the PATH is there and I think that the Portugues / Ironbound area is fairly safe, but I can't figure out why more people aren't doing it (b/c it's really NOT a good idea? anyone know).

Jeez -- if you're a cop or a fireman or a medic, where do you live in this town? Orange County?!

This is just SO frustrating. It doesn't seem like you can beat the system here, you just have to cough it up again and again.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name