Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Uncashed rent checks

Posted by Kevin on October 31, 2001 at 11:02:47:

In Reply to: Uncashed rent checks posted by TJ on October 30, 2001 at 16:12:09:

1.) Where did your friend get the address to send the checks originally?
2.) Were the checks cashed? If so, who cashed them and where are the cancelled checks? Who signed them?
3.) Why did the landlady not come after the money sooner? I would be highly suspicious about this point. First thing I would wonder is if the landlady is in some form of financial trouble and is hoping to scam some money to pay it.
If you recieved the original address on your lease or another official form with the landlady's signature on it, then you are free and clear. You followed the directions of the lease and paid your rent.
4.) Who did you make the checks out to? If someone else cashed them, then you need to go to the bank and inform them that they were fraudalently cashed. You will also have to get your landlady to state for the record that she did not cash them, that the signature on the cancelled checks is not her's. If she's trying to scam you, then she might not step up and agree to do that (if someone was cashing your checks and forging your name, wouldn't you want to do something about that?).
Get all your paperwork together.

: I'm posting this on behalf of a friend living in the Albany metro area. They just found out that they have been sending their rent check to the "wrong" address for over a year. As a result, the landlord has apparently not received payment, *nor* has she brought it to my friend's attention! Regardless of the reason, the oversight was apparently overlooked by my friend in balancing their checkbook. I suppose it's also possible that the checks have been cashed by a third party -- I've suggested to my friend that they begin by checking with the bank to make sure whether or not they were indeed being cashed, but I'm honestly at a loss for advice on what the *next* step is. Having to pay back rent in a lump sum is a huge hardship right now, and it looks like that's what the landlord is claiming she's entitled to. Is that true?? I realize this situation sounds fairly ridiculous, but I appreciate any help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name