Posted by ChrisG on October 31, 2001 at 00:02:04:
In Reply to: gas leak, mice, no heat, withholding rent...? posted by laura on October 30, 2001 at 11:14:38:
firstly, your lease expired, so you are de facto month-to-month leaser now. that significantly reduces what you're able to press the LL to do.
secondly, you're one month from getting out of this place, have you asked the LL if you can use your security deposit as your last month's lease?
as for the questions:
1. there are 2 types of gas in NYC, heating and cooking. LL must provide heat/hot water, and if he doesn't deliver that you might be able to withhold rent. but cooking gas is more the tenant's responsibility (up to a point). the LL should help correct the situation, but one week without a stove is probably not the strongest basis for a case.
2. LL should have exterminators coming to clean up the joint. its the 'warrant of habitability' thing. but have you told the LL about this problem and given him some time to have someone come over? also you could hire the exterminator yourself and take it out of your rent.
3. if you really had a gas leak the place to call is the gas company first. you can't 'remove' a pilot light, it's just been blown out. in fact, by not having them lit, a small amount of gas is being released in your kitchen, like a mini gas leak. light em back up pronto!
4. i sincerely doubt pursuing $200 worth of chow in court is feasible.
5. see above, try using your deposit (possibly minus the exterminator) as last month's rent.
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup