Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord taking closet space back

Posted by Stacy on October 30, 2001 at 14:49:21:

In Reply to: Landlord taking closet space back posted by nyclady.com on October 30, 2001 at 12:21:55:

You can say no. Your lease (since you said you're rent stabalized, I'm assuming you have one) is for the space you currently occupy; the landlord can't arbitrarily reduce that space. Legally, the mgt company has no ground to stand on here, at least until your lease ends.

When it does, you still have recourse, since work of this sort requires city permits and such. They certainly can't do anything without obtaining those permits and furnishing you with copies. (And since you're stabalized, they may still not be able to alter the apartment as long as you keep renewing your lease. I'm not sure about that. But they certainly can't do anything while the current lease is running.)

: I live in a 32 unit building in Manhattan which is rent stabilized. The management company wants to take half of one of my closets, close it off - so when rebuilding the apartment next door, they will have more closet space. Is it perfectly within my rights to say no. I have not been offered money, space, whatever for this time and space. Quite frankly, I am a victim of the World Trade Center bombing and am now having anxieties and such and don't want workmen/strangers to have access to apartment. Am I making any sense?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name