Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: breaking lease with reasonable notice

Posted by Provost on October 29, 2001 at 18:58:51:

In Reply to: breaking lease with reasonable notice posted by Tobey on October 29, 2001 at 16:56:46:

You're both on the lease -- therefore, you both are responsible for the rent (both individually and jointly), irregardless of how many roommates live there.

The only way to get out of the responsibility is to either 1) Wait until the lease term is up or 2) Get the landlord to release you from the lease in writing. He'd be likely to do the latter if you present him with a new tenant who's willing to sign a lease.

Stop leaving it up to your roommate to set conditions for finding a replacement. It's your responsibility, so be more proactive. Talk to the landlord yourself, ask if he'll release you from the lease and rent to her directly. If so great - you're out, and she can make whatever arrangement she wants with a roommate.

: NY City apartment - at least 40 apartments in the building

: I signed a three year lease with my roommate on 12/1/00. I only wanted to sign a 1 year lease but she asked me to sign a 3 year lease as a favor to her. I gave her and my landlord 60 days written notice that I was moving out of the apartment on 12/1/01 (exactly one year). My roommate has not found a new roommate to take my place. I have been searching to find a new roommate to take my place at the rent I paid but my roommate wants the new person to sublet from her directly and wants to raise the rent for the new person by $100 so that her rent will be reduced by $100. (I have this all confirmed in copies of emails). I want to make sure that I am not going to be legally responsible for any future rent??? To date, my landlord has not shown the apartment to anyone. My roommate does NOT want to move out. But we are both on the lease. Do I need to do anything else to protect myself?????

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name