Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: breaking lease - landlord lost new tenant

Posted by Ace on October 25, 2001 at 17:16:36:

In Reply to: breaking lease - landlord lost new tenant posted by ck on October 24, 2001 at 16:09:24:

Did you get the notice from LL in writing to move out by Nov. 1? Next time get it in writing. In the meantime, help to speed the tenant search along by finding someone reliable to take over the apartment...put out ads if you have to. Keep all receipts and make copies just in case.

If you said you'd move out in 45 days, and offered to stay, then the LL is taking advantage. Find a good tenant or two now for the LL to look at and write to remind LL of previous note (attach copy of that letter to it) and say you are sticking to the 45 day deadline. Send it fedex, signature upon receipt so you have evidence in case LL decides to get dumb. Check your lease for any other surprises you might be in for about terminating the lease. Good luck.
: Hi-
: I gave 45 days notice to break my lease. And, in writing, expressed that I would stay on as long as it too to find a new tenant.

: On 9/22 I was told that the apartment was rented for 11/1. So, I moved forward, moved out, and got a new place for 11/1. Now, on 10/23 I am told that the new renters backed out and I would be responsible for the November rent.

: I find that really hard to beleive, especially since they told me it was rented and I'd need to move out. Do I need to get a lawyer? should i go to small claims court because its only $1850 a month and not worth spending more on a lawyer?

: Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name