Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I broke the lease 'coz I lost my job

Posted by Provost on October 24, 2001 at 18:57:09:

In Reply to: I broke the lease 'coz I lost my job posted by Jean on October 24, 2001 at 17:03:08:

When you sign a lease you have to uphold your end of the deal. Moving out is OK, but as you've learned, the LL can enforce the rest of the lease term. Why not call the landlord now (as opposed to his collection agency) and find out what he wants. If the apartment has been re-rented, he cannot continue to demand rent from you. The only rent you would owe is for the time between your move and the date when new tenants rented the place.

If faced with this situation in the future, try to get a signed statement from the landlord releasing you from the lease (perhaps surrendering your security deposit).

: Last August I lost my job, unexpectedly. I informed the apartment's management office of my moved out because I wouldn't have a job the following month. I told them that I couldn't afford to pay for my rent the reason why I'm moving out as soon as possible to avoid the non-payment of rent for succeeding months. After almost two months, I received a call from collecting agent, who trace my current location and phone number, he is pushing me to pay the $1100, he wants me to charge it to the credit card he found in the credit report he got. I did not allow himn to do it because I am saving it for emergency since my family doesn't have any medical insurance. He said that if I'm not going to pay such amount, my landlord might sue me. Can the landlord force the tenant to pay the lease breakage even though the tenant doesn't have a source of income.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name