Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: MCI Increase

Posted by Nick on October 23, 2001 at 10:09:40:

In Reply to: Re: MCI Increase posted by Lilly on October 22, 2001 at 18:50:38:

: nothing and nothing. The multiple MCI's in rapid succession sound a bit suspicious-what are they for and have you received the info from DHCR regarding each one?
: If your lease doesn't specifically state that you have to pay a late fee/by what date rent is considered late, then you are not obligated to. This guy sounds like a real chisler.

The guy is more than a mere chisler.

The MCI increase was for an extensive renovation of the building ... done by two successive owners ... 2 new elevators, new windows, new piping for water and gas, pointing, boiler, new toilets, etc. In the end, he got from the DHCR about $45 per room per month. For me, that's almost $200 a month, but he can't get that from me all at once, due to the cap. So I have two or so more such increases coming.

We right now are awaiting a PAR decision. We (tenants' association and lawyer) reviewed the paperwork and pointed out numerous errors and factual problems with his submission, but we expect the DHCR will finally approve it for good. He's clearly lying. We know it. We feel he padded the MCI application by about double.

There's NO provision in my lease anywhere for late rent. Our tenant association lawyer has told him that he can't do this (many of us have leases without these provisions). He does it anyway. We don't pay.

SO ... you are saying that if I vacate my apartment, say, right now, and he has a couple of 12-month MCI rent increases coming over the next few years, he can't charge me for it once I am no longer paying him rent? No lump-sum balloon payment at the end? He says he can and will do this. And no late charges? I am waiting for him to try something ... he calls the charges I don't pay "arrears" ... I think it's legalistic language setting me up for eviction. Let him try.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name