Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

no contract

Posted by Jeni Chan on October 23, 2001 at 09:26:31:

To whom it may concern,

I'm writing in hopes to get some advise on our situation. I rent an apartment with 2 other roomates. The landlord approached roomate #2 and I, stating that he does not want to have roomate #1 living there anymore. Roomate #1 has been living in this apartement for 5 years and has been renting the rooms out (to us) without the landlords consent. The landlord has had many problems with Roomate #1, complaints from neighbors, bounced checks, general lack of hygiene and upkeep of the place, basically they don't get along, etc.., and therefore wants to evict this roomate and wants us to take over as the more responsible parties. Roomate #1 does not have a contract with the landlord, but she has been living there for 5 years, on a month-to-month basis. I'd like to know what is Roomate #1's contractual position as a tenant? Whether the landlord has grounds to evict Roomate #1 and at the same time keep us as tenants. and what legal actions can Roomate #2 and I can take to protect our living situation? Roomate #2 and I would like to continue on living in the current flat and it seems the landlord would like us to stay, however he has placed the responsibility on us to get rid of Roomate #1 with the threat that >

Please advise. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Jeni Chan

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name