Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Strange noises, creepy apartment

Posted by Ace on October 22, 2001 at 15:26:11:

In Reply to: Strange noises, creepy apartment posted by Sarah H. on October 21, 2001 at 15:48:44:

Have a blessing done at your apartment. Or call your parish priest to pay a visit. Then, on your own, go to a locksmith you trust and install one lock with a key that you will not give to the LL (do NOT let anyone, not even the LL know of this). Check your windows and make sure they have secure locks on the inside that cannot be "jimmied" with from the outside. Esp. make secure the window that leads to a fire escape. Get secure gates and keep the key by your bed.

Also, the reason why I bring up having a lock put in that no one but you has the key to -- it might very well be that someone has access to your apartment and is trying to play tricks with you.

If this "fun" continues after the blessing and cleaning & securing house is done and after the new lock has been added on, I would consider moving.

: I'm a single young woman and rather new to the city. On September 1st I moved into a rent stabilized apartment in a very old building. I signed a one year lease. The landlord emphasized the fact that rent is due on the 1st of each and every month. I accepted the apartment in spite of its age and deterioration after a long search with multiple brokers for a reasonable priced apartment.

: After only a few nights there I began to hear noises at night -- doors creeking, and weird furnace type noises. I bought new bolts for my door and had the super install them. Not only have the noises continued, but things have started to happen. A chair I left by the door was unexplainably moved back to the table. Kitchen cabinets and drawers have slammed themselves shut. I recently talked to a neighbor, an elderly woman, who explained that someone died in my apartment a while ago!

: Now I'm scared stiff of my own home. I know I have signed a one year lease, is there any way I can get out of it due to all this? I know the city registers the rents of all apartments - surely they register if someone died in a specific apartment as well. Where can I investigate? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name