Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Strange noises, creepy apartment

Posted by Sarah H. on October 21, 2001 at 15:48:44:

I'm a single young woman and rather new to the city. On September 1st I moved into a rent stabilized apartment in a very old building. I signed a one year lease. The landlord emphasized the fact that rent is due on the 1st of each and every month. I accepted the apartment in spite of its age and deterioration after a long search with multiple brokers for a reasonable priced apartment.

After only a few nights there I began to hear noises at night -- doors creeking, and weird furnace type noises. I bought new bolts for my door and had the super install them. Not only have the noises continued, but things have started to happen. A chair I left by the door was unexplainably moved back to the table. Kitchen cabinets and drawers have slammed themselves shut. I recently talked to a neighbor, an elderly woman, who explained that someone died in my apartment a while ago!

Now I'm scared stiff of my own home. I know I have signed a one year lease, is there any way I can get out of it due to all this? I know the city registers the rents of all apartments - surely they register if someone died in a specific apartment as well. Where can I investigate? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name