Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: No signed lease...wink and handshake instead

Posted by Jae on October 17, 2001 at 15:56:32:

In Reply to: Re: No signed lease...wink and handshake instead posted by ray on October 17, 2001 at 13:48:49:

: well, here is the issue as I view it - if basement apt is illegal, by making any reports against LL, you risk eviction. No one can occupy an illegal apt. If you cant afford to move, then I think you cant make too many waves unless you're prepared to move. Although, I've never heard of 5 people occuping a basement apt. Thats a lot of people! But in any case, find out if apt is legal. If apt is legal, you're basically month-to-month tenants which means LL has to give you no less than 30 days to vacate and can increase the rent at will. Check with the buildings dept. If its legal, then you are entitled to heat & hot water, elect. etc. You would be entitled to any help from the city like any other legal tenant. He may have some code violations for electricity.

As far as I know, the apartment is legal. He owns the entire building and has other tenants. The apartment is quite large and five does seem too many but only three of us are there majority of the time. The other two use the apartment more or less for storage. We're all actors with girlfriends who live in the city. If we do follow under the month-to-month guidelines, aren't there still laws the landlord would have to follow in terms of raising our rent? Aren't there caps to protects tenants like us? I just don't believe there can be no set limit on how much rent can be raised because then no landlord would give yearly leases, it wouldn't be to the landlord's benefit.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name