Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Bathroom MCI

Posted by dani on October 16, 2001 at 21:41:10:

In Reply to: Bathroom MCI posted by threerear on October 01, 2001 at 13:12:54:

rent increase can be 1/40th of MCI construction costs, but some of the items you mention should be considered as maintenance and are not to be included MCI cost calculations. www.IslaEngineering.com

: I am trying to piece together my rights with respect to a proposed buildingwide bathroom renovation. My landlord says he is going to spend $84,000 on the seven bathrooms in Brooklyn (rent stabilized), and that each of us will see a rent increase of $170. That is 30% of my rent -- is it true that the increase cannot exceed 6% of the rent?

: Also, we do not currently have sinks in the bathrooms, does he have to add them? If the bathrooms are not up to code is bringing them up to code an MCI?

: Also, he says that he will replace all wiring, all sewer and water pipes and rotten subfloors in every bathroom. This stuff is structural -- does that constitute part of the MCI or is some of that his responsibility?

: He wants to use high-end tile and fixtures in the bathrooms -- he has made it clear in conversations that he wants "doctors and other nice people" in the building (rather than truck drivers, cabbies and a secretary), and that if no one can afford the MCI rent increase, they can move.

: Can we have any say before work begins?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name