Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: month to month: leaving - procedures?

Posted by Provost on October 15, 2001 at 02:13:23:

In Reply to: month to month: leaving - procedures? posted by Laura on October 15, 2001 at 00:52:25:

Laura:
Your move out and your roommate's staying are two seperate issues. On a "month to month" tenancy you can leave any time, however it is customary to give 30 days notice to your landlord.

If your roommate intends to stay, she should make her own arrangements directly with the landlord. It is a separate issue from your move. The roommate should pay her own security deposit to the landlord, who then returns your deposit to you. Again, both deposits are seperate issues.

Realize that if your LL and roommate don't agree on a rental arrangement you will be expected to deliver the apartment vacant upon move out.

If all parties involved are on friendly terms you can be as formal or informal as you want. However, make sure you all see "eye to eye" on these matters to avoid unexpected surprises.

: I am planning to move out of my 2 bedroom apartment. It's in a privately owned brownstone in brooklyn. i had a lease when i first moved in, but new owners came in and did not renew the lease. i have never completely understood the terms of a "month to month" arrangement, and my concern is for my roomate who is planning to stay. I have already given my roomate 6 weeks notice. I believe that I have to give my landlords 30 days and intend to give written notice indicating my intentions to leave and my roomate's to stay. however, i am not sure how to go about getting my security deposit back in this situation and want to make sure that there are no other legal problems i may face unawares. please help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name