Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Problem 1: Late fees

Posted by wane on October 12, 2001 at 22:28:44:

I am in an 18-unit rent-stabilized bldg in manhattan, and I succeeded my domestic partner in the lease in 2/00. After a few months, my money got all out of whack, adjusting to paying 100% of rent and bills, and i paid rent late from May to September of 2000........for which I was solicited, and paid, a $25 fee.

On the DHCRs website, it says that these fees are allowable if they are provided for in the lease and ALL RENEWALS. The wording couldn't be clearer. I made management aware of this, and deducted the $125 from July's rent - which was promptly returned. NOW they want the fee for rent paid after the 5th, whereas they'd previously said the 10th. There is NOTHING in the renewals about a late fee; and they refuse to provide a copy of the original, even after making me get a letter from my estranged ex.

So, any experience with late fees out there?
The LL also refuses to give me bank info for my deposit (location or acct number), and would only tell me what was "in there" as of my succession (tho they made my ex write a letter relinquishing rights to the dep. to me). It doesn't seem to have accumulted much in the way of interest....and I've NEVER seen any kind of statement.
Any experiences out there?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name