Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

You have to go to court...

Posted by MikeW on October 12, 2001 at 14:19:56:

In Reply to: notice to cure/notice of termination posted by kate on October 11, 2001 at 12:23:20:

If you don't, you will lose the apartment. When you go to court, be able to document your claims. Be able to prove your mother is sick, that she needs assistance (do this with medical records, and letters from the various doctors), that you are providing this assistance, and, this is very important, that the situation will be temporary, and you will be able to return. Even if your mother is legitimately sick and you are legitimately taking care of her, if the judge feels it is a permanent situation, he look at where you are living now as your new permanent residence, and give the apartment back to the LL.

: I have a rent controlled apartment which I have not been in for some time due to a family illness. My boyfriend periodically uses the apartment as a secondary residence. I told my landlord that my boyfriend would be in the apartment occasionally when I renewed my lease. I have received a ten day notice to cure, saying that I have sublet my apartment. I sent a letter back to the lawyer saying I have not sublet the apartment. The landlord simply wants me out and won't respond to my calls. Now I have received 7 day notice of termination, saying that I have failed to cure. No one has been in the apartment since the cure date. I cannot return to the apartment anytime in the next few months. What can I do? I cannot afford serious legal fees, but I don't want to lose the apartment. Can I at least prolong things legally with the landlord until such time as my mother has recovered and I can return? I have a very reasonable rent, have lived in the apt for ten years, and the landlord is desperate to get me out. I always pay my rent on time. Are there any tenant's rights organizations that could provide me with legal advice/forms/how to defend myself against eviction? HELP!!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name