Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Roommate rent gougers

Posted by Provost on October 10, 2001 at 18:30:12:

In Reply to: Rent Gaugers? posted by Velt on October 10, 2001 at 17:55:35:

You'd have to first find out if the apartment is rent stabilized. If it is, the primary tenant cannot charge you more than your proportionate share of the rent. You could sue him in small claims court for the overcharge and/or report him to building management.

The only long term solution to this would be for you to get an apartment yourself, in your own name. Check the outer boros - Astoria Queens, and parts of Brooklyn are convenient to Manhattan. Also uptown Manhattan neighborhoods like Harlem offer studio and 1BR apartments for under $900. Seek and you shall find.


: I currently moved into a 4 roomate situtation uptown. The building is in Manhattan rent stabilized and there are around 35 or so units. I think the building was built in the 30's or 40's. My portion of the rent is $900.00 every month. There is also another new roomate that just moved in that's paying the same as I. She and I believe that we are being gauged. I don't even think the other two roomates (that are both on the lease) are paying rent at all. Can I contact DHCR for a rent record? After I know what I am suppose to be paying what would be the next step if I am being gauged?

: V

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name