Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I NEED SERIOUS HELP

Posted by Louise on October 10, 2001 at 14:46:26:

I hope someone can help me - I don't know the first thing about my rights in my current situation....I am in a NYC rent stabilized building and over the summer the apt. above me was majorly renovated. Well, our heat went on the night before last and this morning I awoke to find a HUGE water stain and cracks and leaking in the ceiling in my living room. From the location I assumed it was from the heating radiator above me...I called the super and he looked at it and actually said he can't look at it until 5 pm today and probably can't get it fixed until Saturday! He never bothered to go to the upstairs apt -- I had to send my roommate! She said there is a major leak in the radiator and she turned it off. The leak continued.

I called the management office and asked to speak with this elusive property manager who NEVER wants to take tenant's calls and the receptionist told me that the super will look at it first. I told her that this was a MAJOR plumbing problem and I highly doubt a super can handle it...nobody seems to take this seriously.

In the mean time, my ceiling in my beautiful apt. is crumbling and God only knows what I will find when I return home. I want to find SOMEONE - an agency, an attorney - SOMEONE to light a fire under their A-- to get this fixed correctly. Moreover, I would like to know if I have the right to tell them that I will NOT pay rent until it is fixed appropriately. What are my rights or don't I have any??
HeLP!! I am anxiously awaiting some sort of reply!

Louise

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name