Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Noise problems

Posted by Rose on October 10, 2001 at 12:19:40:

I'm living in NYC in a miniscule studio apartment in a 4 floor walk up rental. I've been here for 8 years and cannot afford to move. A new tenant moved in above me 2 years ago and I haven't had a full nights sleep since that time and it's affecting my job performance as well as my health. There has been non-stop banging on my ceiling and music blaring every night from 10-11 until 2-5 in the morning, and her friends buzz my apartment constantly asking to be let into the building. I initially wrote this tenant a very polite note asking her to keep the noise down and to be more considerate, and she basically told me that I must be hearing things. I've written several letters of complaint to my landlord and I've been told that it's my word against hers and nothing can be done as long as she claims she's not doing anything wrong. I don't know how credible it would be for one of my friends to say that they've "witnessed" the noise problem, and I can't very well record the noise because having it on tape doesn't prove where it came from. After my most recent letter to the mangement this tenant was told to put down a rug/carpet on 80% of her floor but she has not done so, and when I reported this to the management no action was taken. To make matters worse her boyfriend has just moved in and the noise is twice as loud and goes on for an even longer period of time. If anyone has been in a situation like this or can offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name