Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent Stabilization NYC

Posted by Stacy on October 08, 2001 at 18:10:06:

In Reply to: Re: Rent Stabilization NYC posted by Michael on October 06, 2001 at 22:16:21:

Yes on both counts. Hold them to their promise to document the new rent, and do demand reciepts. If they can't produce them for you, they shouldn't be able to produce them for DHCR.

Re landlord's wife as broker -- it certainly violates the spirit of the law, which requires an "arm's length" relationship. Anyone out there know how vigorously DHCR enforces key money rules? And is it better to go through DHCR or through small claims court to recoup key money? (I'm dealing with my own case of it as well.)

: Thanks for your replies . . .

: the previous tenants were all rent stabilized tenants - however, as I said, there is no information for the 1999 tenant, and for 2000, it only has the tenants name. When and if the LL sends me a letter explaining the renovations, is it necessary that he provides receipts? For who is to know that his figures are accurate. In addition there was no rider to the lease - and in regards to my broker's fee - I had paid a one month's broker's fee to the LL's wife - who is a legitmate broker (I found her license on the internet).

: Hence . ..

: 1) receipts necessary? If there are no receipts, do I have warrant to file a claim even though the LL claims to have made 20K in renovations.

: 2) broker's fee? Should I file a claim based on the fact that the broker is related to the LL?

: Thanks again!!!

:
: : 20g to renovate a 1 bedroom apt is in the range. Your vacancy lease(the first one you signed) should have had a rider attached explaining how your rent was arrived at. The LL is sending you a statement explaining how the rent was arrived t, so then you'll see.Curious to know if that last tenant was rent controlled. On the registration history it will have a RC somewhere by the last tenants name if he was rent controlled, or a RS if stabilized.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name