Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: taking over rent controlled apartment

Posted by Cranky Tenant on October 06, 2001 at 22:52:30:

In Reply to: taking over rent controlled apartment posted by Nathaniel Ruhlman on October 04, 2001 at 12:53:19:

You have succession rights under a number of different housing laws. Try doing a tenant.net search for "succession"

Start building your paper trail now. Keep the utility bills and put together any documentation you have that proves your relationship and residency such as a birth certificate, voter registration or any possible joint bank accounts. If you can have your name added to the lease, at least as someone who is living in the apartment that should help.

When and if your grandmother decides to move, inform the landlord several months in advance asking him to transfer the lease to your name. Send it certified mail return receipt requested and keep a copy for yourself.This is best done when the lease is coming up for renewal. If he refuses, you can file a Lease Renewal Violation complaint with DHCR, who should, eventually, order the LL to issue a lease in your name.

: I have been living with my great grandmother in a rent controlled apartment on riverside drive for 10 years (its been in the family for close to 70 years). She will most likely be moving out to a nursing home in a year or so. My name is not on the lease, but I have some utilities in my name and i have also been taking care of her for the past two years. What do I need to do to insure that i take over the apartment? The landlord is in no hurry to put me on the lease, is he required to put me on the lease if I've been living here?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name