Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent Stabilization NYC

Posted by me on October 06, 2001 at 18:00:19:

In Reply to: Rent Stabilization NYC posted by Michael on October 05, 2001 at 14:15:57:

If you don't receive a clear explanation of the increase--such as an individual apartment improvement--you should file a rent overcharge form right away.
Landlords routinely inflate or lie about the cost of apartment improvements.

: Hi there,
: I recently received a rental history form for my apartment. I noticed the last two years are missing or have little information in regards to rent. However, in 1998, the last tenant (lived there 6 years) was paying a staggering $650 rent per month. Having signed my lease in June, I am paying close to $1500 a month. My building is RENT STABILIZED, and is located in NYC. A large building, around 100 units or so. I do have a written lease. I am wondering, am I getting screwed here??? I called the management company and they were quite rude and incensed. They said they would prepare a form for me detailing every facet of my rent increase. However, it still seems a little out of the ordinary for my rent to be so high. If I go by current Rent Stabilization rules, my rent should have been increased by 18% each year, for 2 years at max. If renovations were done, they would have had to amount to over $20,000, is this conceivable??? If anyone has any ideas of can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name