Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Bathroom MCI

Posted by threerear on October 01, 2001 at 13:12:54:

I am trying to piece together my rights with respect to a proposed buildingwide bathroom renovation. My landlord says he is going to spend $84,000 on the seven bathrooms in Brooklyn (rent stabilized), and that each of us will see a rent increase of $170. That is 30% of my rent -- is it true that the increase cannot exceed 6% of the rent?

Also, we do not currently have sinks in the bathrooms, does he have to add them? If the bathrooms are not up to code is bringing them up to code an MCI?

Also, he says that he will replace all wiring, all sewer and water pipes and rotten subfloors in every bathroom. This stuff is structural -- does that constitute part of the MCI or is some of that his responsibility?

He wants to use high-end tile and fixtures in the bathrooms -- he has made it clear in conversations that he wants "doctors and other nice people" in the building (rather than truck drivers, cabbies and a secretary), and that if no one can afford the MCI rent increase, they can move.

Can we have any say before work begins?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name