Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: problem!!!!!! - Stop typing in all caps, for starters

Posted by Provost on September 25, 2001 at 23:05:53:

In Reply to: problem!!!!!! posted by dina on September 25, 2001 at 21:11:00:

First of all - did your grandparents rent an apartment ? Or were they shareholders in a coop? It not very clear from your post. Figure it out.

Second of all, dying does not relieve obligation, of the next of kin, to continue paying rent or coop fees. Think about it - do you think just becuase someone has died you never have to pay rent again? If the apartment was re-rented surely the new tenant would pay rent. There is no right to warehouse an apartment rent free after death.

From your post it sounds like someone else in handling the affairs of your late grandmother. I strongly recommend you step back and let that person do his or her job, perhaps aided by a competent probate/estate attorney.

: HERE'S AN INTERESTING ONE, MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME. MY GRANDPARENTS HAD AN APARTMENT IN AMALGAMATED WARBASSE APTS, IN BROOKLYN NEW YORK, I BELIEVE IT IS PART OF MITCHELL LAMA. WITHIN THE LAST FIVE MONTHS, THEY BOTH PASSED AWAY, AND MY MOTHER WHO LIVES IN THE SAME BUILDING (IN ANOTHER APT) IS TAKING CARE OF THEIR AFFAIRS. THE BUILDING MANAGEMENT SAYS: MY MOTHER NEEDS TO GO TO SURROGATE COURT TO GAIN AN ADMINISTRATIVE TITLE OVER THE APT, IN OTHER WORDS , SHE WILL GAIN CONTROL AND BE ABLE TO GET THE MONEY BACK THAT MY GRANDPARENTS ORIGINALLY PAID FOR THE APT, PLUS INTEREST. HOWEVER, HERE COMES THE STRANGE PART, THEY TOLD MY MOTHER, THE RENT STILL HAS TO BE PAID FOR 3 MONTHS, AND THERE IS A CLAUSE IN THE LEASE SOMEWHERE, I STILL HAVE NOT READ THE WHOLE THING, THAT STATES , WHETHER THE PARTY IS DEAD OR ALIVE, THREE MONTHS NOTICE MUST BE GIVEN TO MANAGEMENT. COULD THIS BE LEGAL???????? IT DOESN'T SEEM ETHICAL THATS FOR SURE, IT SOUNDS LIKE PEOPLE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE ELDERLY.
: SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS IS LEGAL, AND IF WE HAVE A CASE FIGHTING IT IN COURT. HELP
: THANKS, DINA

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name