Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

the answer is yes

Posted by me on September 25, 2001 at 00:33:01:

In Reply to: Dangerous neighborhorhood-forced out posted by Rob O'Sullivan on September 24, 2001 at 11:19:52:

All the replies scolding you re the neighborhood etc. ignore your question, the answer to which is yes. Yes, fight for the deposit. The landlord will probably be able to rent out the apartment immediately--the rent is cheap. He can't just "keep it."
Sue in small claims court. You might win. You might even get treble damages or something like that (i'm not sure about the law). Be sure to write a letter first demanding the deposit.
Dont emphasize the neighborhood. Emphasize the ridiculously loud music from the other apartments.
You have no lease so he can't try to sock you with attorneys fees, additonal rent, etc. etc. If you lose, you lose, but it is worth a try.

: My wife and I moved into a new apartment on September 1. The landlord sold us on it as a quiet family oriented and safe neighborhood. After being there for three weeks, we have been subjected to loud stereos booming from neighborhood apartments and cars all day and night and my wife has been subjected to daily harrassment from all the guys standing on the corners in this not so safe neighborhood. We ahve found out from other tenants in the buildings that it is not safe at all for a woman to go outside at night in this area. We have been forced to move out at the end of the month out of fear. We never signed a lease with the landlord, and he stated that if we move out he is going to keep the $1,350.00 security deposit. Does anyone see the potential of us battling this issue to get that deposit back? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name