Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Live Downtown

Posted by Cranky Tenant on September 24, 2001 at 19:01:15:

In Reply to: Re: Live Downtown posted by Tribeca Resident on September 24, 2001 at 15:47:35:

Also, some banks are offering financial assistance. Since the banks were closed, several of my checks didn't clear and there were other glitches. Chase waived all the fees associated with these transactions and suggested I contact a special department that could possibly reduce interest charges on credit cards, etc.

: Look at the "Fire or Casualty" section of the standard NY State lease.

: If the apartment is unusable for 30 days, the lease can be terminated by you. (It's in black and white)

: If the apartment is unusable in part or totally (most Tribeca apartments had no power/gas/phone for 1 week and were off limits anyway), the lease is still valid but the rent will be reduced immediately ---> which has been interpreted as no rent for the time you were kept out. This is what was (begrudgingly) confirmed by at least two management companies to their tenants.

: In addition, you may be eligible for FEMA or Red Cross financial relief for things such as property loss or expenses. Manhattan county has been declared a federal disaster area.

: More information for downtown residents at www.cb1.org

: : Hi. I was unable to return to my apartment for about a week after the Trade Center catastrophe. My building was off limits due to its proximity. Am I entitled to not pay rent for that week because it is constructive eviction or for some other reason?

: : Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name