Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: old windows

Posted by Cranky Tenant on September 22, 2001 at 04:53:51:

In Reply to: old windows posted by Allen-NYC on September 21, 2001 at 23:20:46:

I live in a building that's a similar age and had the original windows until last winter. The windows frames were broken and repaired improperly, so when the city inspected, they said the windows were in violation. My LL opted to replace the windows rather than repair them. There was no additional charge to me because it was only a repair. In the meantime the apartment was also painted white.

Since then I've found my electricity bill is almost half what it was a year ago. The new windows did a great job of maintaining my cool air conditioned apartment that way in the summer, and toast warm in the winter, Even if your LL charges an increase you may see a dramaatic decrease in your electric bill that will make it worthwhile.

: The building (6 apartments) I live in was built in 1906 and the interior apartment windows are the really old kind with the thumb-screw turn style locks, one on each side of the window. If you have both sides screwed in to secure the window, it can easily take one full minute to open it. Way too much time in a fire. I haven't been able to locate the specifics on whether the landlord is legally obligated to install new windows, but a contractor who came to do repairs a few months ago said he was. When I asked my landlord about this, he said to put new windows in, he would have to raise the rent. Probably referring to the MCI NYC laws. Does anyone know if there is a law that exists to force the landlord to install new windows for safety reasons without raising the rent?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name