Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

problem with basement apartment

Posted by liana on September 21, 2001 at 14:48:53:

i have been leaving in a basement apartment (@$500 a month) for over a year. There is no lease, it is just month to month. When i moved in the conditions were livable but needed some minor repairs. But in the beggening of the summer I had a flood. I have told my landlord about a flood, he promised to fix it sometime in the near future. But up until today he still hasn't come down and fixed the problem. I continued to pay rent for up to last month, while having 2 more floods. The conditions today are hazardous. My belonging are being ruined, I am not even mentioning my floors and my furniture. My clothes, bags and everything else is rotting. This month i have decided not to pay the rent and see what will the landlord do. On the 19th of this month at 11:30pm he tried to contact me. He came inside of my home and put up a note saying he wants his rent. I don't think I should be paying rent for such a crappy apartment. I am not sure if this apartment is legal or not. I would like to know what can I do about this problem or how can this be resolved.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name