Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

security deposit

Posted by Kelly on September 20, 2001 at 21:40:28:

I live in Jersey City, NJ in a rent-controlled apartment. I do not have a lease; the landlord instead offers a month-to-month rental agreement, which is in my name. I've lived here a year, but I'm getting ready to move. I have already given the landlord notice of my intention to vacate Oct. 1. My roommate wants to remain and take the rental agreement legally into her name, but the landlord refuses. That's all between them - I'm leaving anyway, at the end of the month. The problem is this: the situation is escalating between my roommate and my landlord, with him refusing to recognize her as a tenant, and with her refusing to vacate the apartment just because I am. Now he has sent me a letter stating that if the apartment is not vacant on Oct. 1, he will keep my security deposit for satisfaction of rent. I can't make her leave any more than he can. And I don't want to lose my money. The deposit is in my name, the rental agreement is in my name, the apartment is in satisfactory condition, and me and all my stuff will be gone Oct. 1, so I want my deposit back. What can I do?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name