Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: No Lease = Month to Month = Inceased rent by 15% because I called code enforement to make him do repairs to my apartment. We had a oral agreement and now he is breaking it.

Posted by dennis on September 20, 2001 at 18:13:34:

In Reply to: Re: No Lease = Month to Month = Inceased rent by 15% because I called code enforement to make him do repairs to my apartment. We had a oral agreement and now he is breaking it. posted by Ms. Amy Coeur on September 20, 2001 at 15:53:05:

: I made a oral agreement with my landlord which stated he wouldn't incease my rent before one year as long as I paid on time and did't damage his property. I have only lived here for seven months and have always paid on time and not caused no damage. The problem started with the repairs that he never completed before I moved in. I waited for over five months after many phone calls and letters,I call the city to get him to do the much needed repairs.He was order to do so but in return he told me that he was inceaseing my rent to cover the cost of the repairs that I did't causes. He inceased the rent by 15% due on Oct.1st and only gave me two weeks notice. I really can't afford the hike and just paid out so much moeny to move in here what are my rights and a poor tenant.

amy - first off, you don't want to use your full name here, just in case your landlord is watching. next thing, oral agreements aren't worth the paper they're printed on. you've got no lease, so, as a month-to-month tenant, the landlord can raise the rent with a 30-day notice. the 2 weeks is not sufficient. was the notice in writing? if not, you haven't received notice yet, so don't pay the increase.
he also may want to end your tenancy with 30-day notice also, so tread lightly.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name