Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Condition of apartment prior to moving in

Posted by dennis on September 11, 2001 at 01:50:32:

In Reply to: Condition of apartment prior to moving in posted by Jeffrey on September 10, 2001 at 15:43:43:

: I am renting an apartment in a condo complex on 96th Street directly from the owner of the unit. I went to look at the place b/c I'm moving in next Monday and the place is dirty and needs to be painted. Do I have any legal rights here? Does a condo owner have to clean it or paint it before a new tenant moves in?

your 'legal rights' are to not rent a crummy place in the first place. you leased the place sight unseen? bad move.
if you insist on moving in anyway, make sure you take plenty of dated pictures showing the condition of anything that isn't quite up to par so that you are covered when you move out, so the landlord doesn't blame you for the mess and take it out of your security deposit. also, if the landlord supplies a 'move in' check list, detail each and every problem you have with the place, and make sure you keep a copy.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name