Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: no lease, no record I am living here

Posted by link on September 08, 2001 at 22:24:27:

In Reply to: no lease, no record I am living here posted by M.B on September 05, 2001 at 22:37:12:

: I am writing for my daughter, who is a student in NY. She moved into a house and is renting a room for a lot of money.

: The people told her, once she moved in, that they will only accept cash for the rent. $600.00. They refuse to give her a receipt. She also gave them one month as a security deposit.

: I am very leery of these people. I want her to go to some authority, so it is on record she is living there, paying rent and the things in her room, are her property.

: Can you help me?

here in NY state, the landlord is required to give a very detailed receipt for rent paid in cash: it's in the RPL somewhere.

goto: tenant.net
click on NY Tenant Info
read a whole bunch of stuff, get a feel for NY
click on Laws for All Tenants
click on Real Property Law
click on Article 07: you'll find the receipt law there.

ps: your daughter's college should have an off-campus housing office that should be able to help. it also probably has free online access, in case she doesn't; so does every branch of the NY Public Library, ditto for Brooklyn & Queens.

pps: sorry you had to meet two rude NY'ers with bad advice, most people here are good people, just regular folk.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name