Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: no lease, no record I am living here

Posted by dennis on September 06, 2001 at 22:17:11:

In Reply to: Re: no lease, no record I am living here posted by Happy Pants O'hara on September 06, 2001 at 12:56:27:

: : I am writing for my daughter, who is a student in NY. She moved into a house and is renting a room for a lot of money.

: : The people told her, once she moved in, that they will only accept cash for the rent. $600.00. They refuse to give her a receipt. She also gave them one month as a security deposit.

: : I am very leery of these people. I want her to go to some authority, so it is on record she is living there, paying rent and the things in her room, are her property.

: : Can you help me?

: If it wasn't legal when she moved in (and it doesn't sound like it) then going to the athorities is just going to get her kicked out, and her security desposit Gone Daddy Gone. She should probably just leave, this doesn't sound legit at all, and she shouldn't wait until they just randomly throw her out, which they could do considering she has no proof she lives there at all.

notwithstanding whether the 'apartment' is legal or not, make sure she tarts getting mail at that address. make sure that her drivers license has that address on it. make sure any bills she has are sent to her at that address. this would establish 'residence' and make it a lot more difficult for the owners just to toss her out on the street without going through the proper process. any judge seeing all that 'evidence of residence' would definetly give your daughter the benefit of the doubt.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name