Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Best way to find an apartment if out of state?

Posted by yes, Anastasia on September 06, 2001 at 12:52:33:

In Reply to: Re: Best way to find an apartment if out of state? posted by Bry on September 06, 2001 at 00:46:32:

: From my experience moving from out of state, it is a lot easier if you use a broker, a large one - obviously if you can afford it. I tried first without one, using rent-direct.com ($169), coming up for a couple of weekends, which just didnt work. You may find even a week staying in NY to search is not long enough.

That's good to know, I have to thank you for the information, i was expecting someone to say that Broker's are probably best, but if there was a way to get out of it, I was looking for it. I'd rather have spent the money saved on other things.... Interesting that rent-direct.com didn't work for you, the site ofcourse makes it seem like they're the only solution.. but I guess they kind of have to.

: Also, we got burned using a broker (Manhattan Apartments) - they found us a place, which turned out to have health problems, but once they have your considerable $$$, they do not want to know.
: So, we had to move again quickly, and used mlx.com ($199) and nofeerentals.com (free). We found a place within 2 days of searching.
: I think we (finally) dropped lucky here though.

Have been to both those sites, which place actually helped you find the place? Mlx or nofeerentals? I was planning on going to jakobson properties when i got to the city, as they seemed to be pretty good, and I was hoping someone had tried them.

: Also note that these sites are not brokers, so will not show you around, they just list the apartments and contact details, you're on your own from there.
: Be prepare for lots of phone calls and lots of walking.

: Best of luck. :o)

Thank you so much for actually offering me help in the city I want to live in, i'll see how it goes. I'm not totally against brokers, but I'd just gotten the idea they weren't doing anything I couldn't do myself, and I thank you for the info!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name