Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Best way to find an apartment if out of state?

Posted by Bry on September 06, 2001 at 00:46:32:

In Reply to: Best way to find an apartment if out of state? posted by yes, Anastasia on September 05, 2001 at 09:37:53:

From my experience moving from out of state, it is a lot easier if you use a broker, a large one - obviously if you can afford it. I tried first without one, using rent-direct.com ($169), coming up for a couple of weekends, which just didnt work. You may find even a week staying in NY to search is not long enough.
Also, we got burned using a broker (Manhattan Apartments) - they found us a place, which turned out to have health problems, but once they have your considerable $$$, they do not want to know.
So, we had to move again quickly, and used mlx.com ($199) and nofeerentals.com (free). We found a place within 2 days of searching.
I think we (finally) dropped lucky here though.
Also note that these sites are not brokers, so will not show you around, they just list the apartments and contact details, you're on your own from there.
Be prepare for lots of phone calls and lots of walking.

Best of luck. :o)

: Planning to move to NYC city soon, no real preference on where I live, but it's suggested I live in manhattan, despite the expense. well, my mom refuses to let me live elsewhere, hehe. My question is, what's the best way to find a place without going to a broker? I've noticed the village voice has alot of broker ads, so that doesn't seem like it's the best route, but unless I'm doing something wrong the NY times doesn't seem to be any better.

: So, since I'm planning on visiting with friends in the village for a week to look for a place, should I just wait til I get there and walk around? Is there a publication I can buy or pick up somewhere? does anyone recommend those websites that sell access to their "no fee" listings? Aside from word of mouth, how do new yorkers typically search for new apartments, or does everyone use a broker? And also, there's supposed to be a few brokers that charge you a flat fee of 150-300 dollars and they'll keep showing you places with no other fee until they find you a place, anyone tried those?

: I'm looking for a semi-large studio of around 500 squarefeet or so, shouldn't be that hard to find.....

: Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name