Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Best way to find an apartment if out of state?

Posted by Minty on September 06, 2001 at 00:35:08:

In Reply to: Re: Best way to find an apartment if out of state? posted by yes, Anastasia on September 05, 2001 at 19:20:31:

: Hmm, so when I ask for the best way to look for an apartment THIS is your answer? I don't need you to tell me whether I'm an adult or a child (and by the way, you DON'T know the answer to that because you don't know ANYTHING about me)Thanks for the judgement,the "bankrolled kids" label, and lack of answer to my question.

At this point, you don't need to tell me anything about yourself! ;P

If you had bothered to thoroughly read my post, you would have noted the mention of a feature the Voice Online offers, Voice Messaging. This service continually emails you throughout the day as apartments are uploaded - this way, you don't have to wait until the next day's mass upload. If you work at a computer for 12 hours a day, as I often do, these emails are quite helpful and time-saving overall. And get this - they're not all brokers!! Oh, wait, I forgot, I'm thinking of Brooklyn, heh heh.

: Are you crazy? the rent is cheap there because they're bad neighborhoods. i never once suggested money was a problem, other than not wanting to waste several thousand dollars on a broker when they're not particularly qualified. I'd die twice living in harlem and washington heights, if not a victim of crime, probably one of fear.

Bad neighborhoods? Are you smoking crack?
Now, this is the point where I either double over in laughter, or just feel really sorry for you. If you must live in Manhattan, go for it, but lose the attitude. I did have a remnant of my "Midwestern hospitality" in that I would encourage you to at least explore a Brooklyn neighborhood where even the waifiest Paris Hilton-wannabes have begun to trickle in. Now, my NY attitude is kicking in, and I think it would be best if you stayed far away, and only spent your time in the West Village, Columbia U area, and Murray Hill 3rd Av. bar strip - God knows those are the only places you may be happy. My money is on the evening when you and your gaggle drunkenly take a cab from the LES into the bowels of my "bad" neighborhood, asking characters on every corner how to reach Galapagos, where this crazy "Roo-ba-lad" party they spied in Time Out is located, and how did I end up spending the night with this artist boy in his COMMERCIAL loft??

Unfortunately, with your attitude and lofty expectations, I see you breaking down and going the broker way within a week. After this ordeal, you may then still find yourself with a seriously flawed space. What will you do then? Call mommy to bail you out?

In the meantime, DO NOT attack people who, through their own experience and hard work, have given you the best advice they can. Maybe you should do yourself the favor of staying put, and simply visit your friends twice a year.

: so, I post here saying "hey, I need to get a place in manhattan, the village voice is all brokers, I don't want a broker, any advice to find an apartment?" and your advice is "move to Williamsburg, and try the village voice" I'm just waiting for you to bat three out of three by suggesting a broker. thank you, you've been no help at all.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name