Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Best way to find an apartment if out of state?

Posted by yes, Anastasia on September 05, 2001 at 19:20:31:

In Reply to: Re: Best way to find an apartment if out of state? posted by Minty on September 05, 2001 at 16:19:08:

: Are you under 18, or is "mom" paying? Please don't take offense, but you are an adult, and can make your own decisions. My mommy loves me too, but she knew better than to say such things to me. If the latter is true, that's a little depressing - it's very frustrating to compete with bankrolled kids for decent living space.

Hmm, so when I ask for the best way to look for an apartment THIS is your answer? I don't need you to tell me whether I'm an adult or a child (and by the way, you DON'T know the answer to that because you don't know ANYTHING about me)Thanks for the judgement,the "bankrolled kids" label, and lack of answer to my question.

: That said, if you're serious about making a home here, it doesn't hurt to start from the beginning. When I first moved here as a young 'un, there were still affordable rooms to be had on the Lower East Side, ones I could afford working part-time and attending school. If you're hell-bent on staying in Manhattan, your best bets are Harlem, Washington Heights, etc.

Are you crazy? the rent is cheap there because they're bad neighborhoods. i never once suggested money was a problem, other than not wanting to waste several thousand dollars on a broker when they're not particularly qualified. I'd die twice living in harlem and washington heights, if not a victim of crime, probably one of fear.

:In your case, I would investigate Williamsburg, 1st-3rd stops on the L train. These days the atmosphere is very tame and carnival-like, and your mom would approve (I do have mixed feelings about advising more people to clog this area, but in the interest of helping an individual...).

don't worry, I'm not going there, so there's one more free space to keep it unclogged.

: Again, the Manhattan market is just too tight, IMHO, for a "regular" (i.e. non-trustfund) girl, especially one starting out. I get the impression you also want to live by yourself - you've just made your search 10 times more difficult.

: Online resources: the Voice, especially their Voicemail service. If you check your email as much as I do, this is very helpful
: Also, http://www.billburg.com covers some real estate and shares for the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area.

so, I post here saying "hey, I need to get a place in manhattan, the village voice is all brokers, I don't want a broker, any advice to find an apartment?" and your advice is "move to Williamsburg, and try the village voice" I'm just waiting for you to bat three out of three by suggesting a broker. thank you, you've been no help at all.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name