Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Best way to find an apartment if out of state?

Posted by Ace on September 05, 2001 at 17:50:00:

In Reply to: Best way to find an apartment if out of state? posted by yes, Anastasia on September 05, 2001 at 09:37:53:

Do you have any relatives, family or friends that live in Manhattan? Manhattan is a very expensive place and Harlem is still going through some major changes. As far as your mom talking about "safe", as George Carlin said it best, "Safety is an illusion." You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Not to sound morbid, but there's no such thing. You can be careful only so much and control only so much of what you do to try to avoid things but living in a big city is only going to heighten the chances of something happening to you. Hopefully though, it'll be good things.

Staying with friends for a week and pounding the pavement may be your best bet. Networking, word of mouth is THE BEST way to get an apartment in Manhattan. BUT -- not without roommates. I don't know what your parent is willing to pay, but tell them to check on line at www.nytimes.com or www.villagevoice.com and they can see for themselves that the amounts are NOT cheap.

Nowadays, most apartments are through agents but you can find a non-brokered one every now and then. Slim to none, but not completely out.

: Planning to move to NYC city soon, no real preference on where I live, but it's suggested I live in manhattan, despite the expense. well, my mom refuses to let me live elsewhere, hehe. My question is, what's the best way to find a place without going to a broker? I've noticed the village voice has alot of broker ads, so that doesn't seem like it's the best route, but unless I'm doing something wrong the NY times doesn't seem to be any better.

: So, since I'm planning on visiting with friends in the village for a week to look for a place, should I just wait til I get there and walk around? Is there a publication I can buy or pick up somewhere? does anyone recommend those websites that sell access to their "no fee" listings? Aside from word of mouth, how do new yorkers typically search for new apartments, or does everyone use a broker? And also, there's supposed to be a few brokers that charge you a flat fee of 150-300 dollars and they'll keep showing you places with no other fee until they find you a place, anyone tried those?

: I'm looking for a semi-large studio of around 500 squarefeet or so, shouldn't be that hard to find.....

: Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name