Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Holding Rent

Posted by Ace on September 05, 2001 at 17:42:44:

In Reply to: Holding Rent posted by Gary on September 05, 2001 at 12:46:44:

Did your lawyer also say to put whatever money you would have paid rent-wise to LL into an escrow account? And I agree with Jason -- if you're going to a lawyer and this is what the lawyer advises, you either trust the lawyer and ask more questions to the lawyer or take your business to another lawyer you DO trust...

: Currently, I live in a prewar 18 unit tenament walk-up on the upperwest side in Manhattan. I have a writen lease and it's rent stabilized. I talked with a Lawyer today about my situtation involving lack of service and rats running all through this entire building and inside my apartment. The lawyer told me after I sent a letter to the owner and contacted the housing and health department to file an HP Action at the civil court. He told me not to pay any rent until the problems in the building and my apartment were all fixed. This lawyer also told me to wait for a notice from the owners lawyer and then to contact him. Are these the right steps? Is it okay for me not to pay rent now?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name