Posted by Ted on September 05, 2001 at 15:05:15:
Hi. I just rented a 900 rent stabilized studio apartment in Brooklyn. The 2 yr lease started August 15, and I paid August 15-31 already. I moved in Sept. 1, and found myself in a place I and my girlfriend don't want to live in! I want to get out now! How do I do it?
The place has some serious problems:
1) roaches crawling all over the walls day and night-- we're killing upwards of 10 a day
2) holes in the walls and gaps along the floor and wall where I think the roaches get through
3) they spray the whole building for roaches every month, and I'm allergic to the chemicals, which I can smell.
4) it's dangerous-- armed robbers broke in the other night and beat up a man and his family in the hallway-- and when we called the police, they didn't believe us at first!-- and then threatened to arrest the distraught victim when they finally did come.
5) someone spray painted death threats to the white tenants in the hallways of the building
Anyway, what rights do I have to get out? I haven't paid for september yet, and I'm looking for a new place-- for which I'll need that september rent to afford another move. Also, I'm having trouble believing the studio apartment there is really 900. The building manager didn't attach that rider to the lease stating the past rent history of the apartment, though I haven't yet asked him either.
If anyone has any idea on how to get out of a lemon of an apartment, please let me know, or direct me to some urls on tenant.net,etc. It would be greatly appreciated. If I just skip out, giving these reasons, will it affect my credit? (which everyone seems to want to know these days)
Thanks in advance,
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup