Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: DJ YOU MORON...well MARRY HER!!!!!

Posted by dj on September 05, 2001 at 13:41:04:

In Reply to: Re: Can landlord refuse Joint account check? DJ YOU MORON posted by me on September 05, 2001 at 00:15:09:

The landlord cannot refuse a joint check if you are Married!
;
;
;
;

: If the lease does not require checks only from the tenant named in the lease, the tenant should stick to his guns. The fact is, a joint bank account is an indication of a domestic partnership situation -- and that is precisely the reason to pay with a check from a joint account. (I am assuming here the tenant wants his girlfriend to have status as a tenant. If they are paying over $2,000 and it can lead to luxury decontrol, it is dumb!)
: If all this tenant has is a joint account, then the LL is demanding that he wait on line at some post office or whatever for a money order. Unreasonable.
: No need to name-call, by the way.

:
: : LL accepted the joint check before because it was signed by the tenant and probably didn't think much of it- LL may now realize or have reason to believe you're trying to segue into something else- namely establishing a LT relationship with the girlfriend-trying to get LL to accept the girlfriend as payor on the lease.
: : Tenant should pay rent from his own checking account, one in his name only.
: : If were a LL I would probably now insist upon the tenant of record being the only payor. Unless you want to fight for recognition of domestic partnership rights or something like that.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name