Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: clarification of roof garden connection with harassment

Posted by me on September 04, 2001 at 15:21:59:

In Reply to: clarification of roof garden connection with harassment posted by rfh on September 04, 2001 at 11:10:46:

OK, I understand things a little better now. But just a little, and I am not going to ask for further clarification. You just keep on ranting.
If a roof garden is a required service (it doesn't matter what the leases say) ordered by the DHCR predecessor, you can file for a service reduction if you dont have it. But your post is so murky I am not clear where that stands. You dont even say if you are rent controlled or rent stabilized.
You dont say when any of this stuff happened.
I am not clear as to the harassment.
My other answer re the offer applies.
No need to apologize--if you are vague or meandering you only hurt yourself, because people will not understand you and you get either no replies or (e.g., dj) bad ones.
If you want to sue, you should get a lawyer. But a lawyer is going to want specific facts, not a rant.
: apologies for the wandering... enjoyment of the roof garden as a tenant recreational facility was so ordered back in 1981 by the Conciliation and Appeals Board... present building owner agreed to abide by this decision, and then over the years proceeded to add a rider to each new lease stating " access to the roof strictly forbidden "... eventually leaving me as the sole caretaker and enjoyer of the roof...labeling me as the eccentric who charges people to enjoy the roof ( not true, in fact, I used to advise new tenants of their rights but they were too afraid ).

: In his anger over my calling Central Complaint over days of no heat and
: a month of ceiling leaks, the building owner falsely reported a rooftop greenhouse to the Department of Building...Inspector came and saw the garden and no greenhouse= no violation... two weeks later same inspector meets with building owner on roof= two violations against me= several meetings down at Environmental Control Board,appeals, reversals of opinions, false accusations alleging I was destroying the roof, that my apartment was loaded with violations I've allegedly caused, that I had no rights to have pets which I had openly over the thirty years I've lived in the apartment, that I had
: " unauthorized " people living with me ( a friend and lover who has been with me for 23 years )... I mean, when does the harassment stop?
: Is being told not to use a ceiling fan or air conditioner during hot summer months harassment? Is sealing off the air shaft with plexiglass harassment. Is being badmouthed to new tenants harassment? Is guranteeing use of the roof as a recreational facility and then painting it with aluminum harassment?

: The question was: should I take the $9,500 and avoid the threat of eviction or do I have a suit vs the landlord for the harassment which made my apartment life no longer peaceful and enjoyable.

: P.S. the motivation for the harassment could be that my space could pull in twenty times what I am paying...when renovated. When I moved in there were'nt even closets or kitchen cabinets, no bathroom sink...thirty years of shaving in the kitchen sink... but I loved it.
: My rent was so cheap because they refused to repair hoping I'd give up and move...but I stayed.It was my home.

: Any ideas? My thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name