Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Waiting on house

Posted by Matt on September 01, 2001 at 01:48:30:

I rent an apartment in upstate New York. My one-year lease expired Aug. 31, 2001,but I signed a one-month extension with my landlord. I am in the process of buying a house, but things are moving rather slowly. the closing date for the house is set for the end of Sept. 2001, but because things are going slow, I may or may not have the house by then and might, or might not in the apartment in Oct. I don't want to pay another month's rent for Oct. when I may not be living there. Near the end of Aug. I offered a move-out date of Oct. 15, and pay a half month's rent, but my landlord refused (We don't get along). For two months, he's been trying to get new tenants in the apartment, and is trying to pressure me into giving a move-out date of Sept. 30. I can't afford to pay a month's mortgage and a month's rent, but I can't give him a definite move-out date of the beginning of Oct. As is, I felt like I was taking a risk in offering a Oct. 15 move out date.
What should I do? Should I just let the extension run out and see on Oct. 1 if the landlord has new people with their moving vans set to move in? The landlord already has a month's security, he hasn't given me any written notice, but I know he wants me out. I feel that he is being totally unreasonable.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name